Have an issue with one of the apps that you've added to Shift, such as a login issue, a loading issue, the app is unresponsive, fully or partially blank, or some other type of issue? Continue reading for our tried and true troubleshooting methods! Start with step 1 and work your way down the list until you reach a resolution. 😁
1. Update to the latest version of Shift
Fixes and updates are released every few weeks! If it's been a while since you've last updated, make sure you're running the latest version of Shift:
- Go to Quick Settings (top-right corner) > Scroll down at and go to "Check for Updates"
- If no update appears, double-check what the latest available version is by heading to our Release Notes (the notes for the most recent version will appear at the top of the list)
- Head to our website to download the latest version of Shift
2. Reload the page
Navigate to the app giving you an issue and click the "reload" button to refresh the app. The "refresh" button is located in the upper left corner of your Shift view.
3. Hard refresh Shift
Give Shift a hard refresh by clicking Cmd Shift R (for Mac) or Ctrl Shift R (for Windows) on your keyboard. Shift will close and automatically restart.
4. Clear the app's cache and cookies
You have the ability to clear cache and cookies on an individual app basis:
- Navigate to the app instance where you're experiencing the issue
- Click the lock icon (to the right of the browser search bar)
- Select "Site settings"
- Click "Clear data"
5. Add a second instance of the app
Adding a second instance of the app will create an entirely new cookie and cache partition (it's like starting fresh)!
- Add a second instance of the app (DO NOT DELETE THE FIRST INSTANCE OF THE APP BEFORE DOING THIS)
- Log into the newly added instance of the app to see if the issue persists
If the issue is resolved, you can delete the first instance of the app that had the issue.
5. Clear the Shift browser cache & cookies
In this step, we'll be using the "clear browsing data" function to remove any stale app data that has accumulated in the background across Shift as a whole.
Note: when clearing your browsing data and/or cookies, you will be signed out of your Primary email account. You will also be signed out of any extensions and applications that use your Primary email as a login.
- Navigate to Quick Settings (top-right corner) > Scroll down to "Advanced Settings" > Privacy and Security
- Select "Clear browsing data" and select either "Basic" or "Advanced"
- Under "Time range", select "All time"
- Clear data
7. Perform a partial app data reset
When you manually delete your Shift data, your added emails and apps will remain intact. However, any opened web tabs will clear. A manual app data deletion resolves a myriad of issues. Follow our step-by-step instructions under the "Solutions" section of these articles:
8. Confirm that the issue is Shift-specific
There are times when the root cause of the issue may be with the app itself, rather than Shift. To check, open the app in a native browser (e.g. Chrome, Safari, etc.) and perform the desired action, and confirm that the issue is isolated to Shift.
Note: all of the applications in the Shift application library are web-based. Make sure to take note of any potential diferences that might exist between the web version and desktop or mobile versions.
Still need help? Get in touch with our Support team, here.