You can import and export your passwords within Shift!
There are two different ways you can import passwords into Shift v8: directly from your browser, or from a CSV file. Shift can currently import from five different browsers, including Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, and Vivaldi. If you use a different browser or other password management service, you can first export a CSV and then import it to Shift. This article contains the steps for both methods. 🔐
Noticing that passwords are not syncing across multiple computers? Learn why here.
Method 1: Import passwords from a supported browser
- Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > You and Shift > click "Import" next to Import bookmarks and settings
- Select your browser type from the drop-down (ensure your browser is fully closed first), then click "Import"
You can manage your passwords by going to the Autofill section in your settings.
Method 2 - Import passwords from a CSV file
Step 1 - Download your saved passwords as a CSV file
To download your passwords to a CSV file, go to the help center for the password management app or browser that you use. If you're downloading passwords from Chrome, select Settings > Autofill > Passwords > 3 little dots beside "Saved Passwords" > Export passwords.
Your CSV file MUST follow a specific format to import successfully into Shift! Check if the first line of your CSV file includes these column names: Url, Username, and Password. If it doesn't, update your CSV file accordingly!
Step 2 - Import your passwords to v8
- Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > Autofill > Passwords
- At the top of this page, beside Import Passwords, click "Import"
- Select the CSV file you previously saved from your browser or password manager
- Select "Import"
After you import your passwords to Shift, it's highly recommended to delete the local CSV file! CSV files are often not password protected. Anyone with access to your device could open the CSV file and access your password data.
Unable to import your passwords?
- If importing from a supported browser, ensure your browser is fully closed first (supported browsers include Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, and Vivaldi)
- Confirm that your CSV file is formatted correctly with column names: URL, username, password
- If the first line of your CSV has a related column with a different name, update the name
- Example - If the first line of your .CSV is "website,username,password", change the first line to "url,username,password"
- Check password import and storage limits
- You can import up to 3,000 passwords to Shift at a time. If you need to import more than 3000, split them into multiple CSV files and import the files separately
- You can store up to 10,000 passwords in Shift
Want to use the LastPass extension in Shift? Learn how here
Exporting passwords from Shift
Here's how to export your saved passwords from Shift:
- Go to Settings (lower left on your Shift) > Autofill > Passwords > Saved Passwords
- Click the triple-dot icon on the right side of saved passwords, then click "Export passwords..."
- Save & rename the generated file to your desired location
Shift will generate a CSV file containing all your passwords. Please note that this file is locally stored and is not encrypted, meaning anyone with access to your desktop will be able to open this file.
Need help? Get in touch with our support team here.