Wondering how to use Shift for your browser needs? Or clear your history and browsing data? Check out this article!
Shift's built-in web browser is Chromium-based. There is no way to change the integrated browser in Shift.
Each time you start a new search or click to open a web link in Shift, it will open in whatever email account or app instance you were originally in, helping to keep you better organized! Your searches and page navigations will also appear in your history and Quick Switcher tool.
In this article, we go through searching and browsing in the built-in browser, how to view and clear your history and browsing data, and how to view and clear your download history.
Note: the ability to have links open outside of Shift is not yet available in v8 settings. To open links outside of Shift, right-click on the link and select Open in Default Browser.
How to start a new browser search
To start a new search, simply click on the "+" towards the upper right part of your screen:
Important: open tabs are stored in your local data, meaning they are temporary in nature! Open tabs are not synced with Shift's servers and will not transfer over to computer B if they were opened on computer A. Read more about using Shift v8 across multiple computers here.
How to view and clear browser history
- To view your itemized history in Shift, in the top menu, click Window > History (or type chrome://history/ in the search bar at the top of Shift)
- To clear part or all of your history, click Clear browsing data at the top right of this page, and make selections in the Clear browsing data pop-up under either the Basic or Advanced tabs
Alternatively, go to Options > Settings (lower-left corner) > click Clear browsing data under the Privacy and security heading.
How to view and clear your download history
- To view your itemized download history in Shift, in the top menu, click Window > Downloads (or type chrome://downloads/ in the search bar at the top of Shift)
- To clear any items from your downloads history, click the x on the right-hand side of the file you want to clear
- To clear all items from your downloads history, go to Options (lower left) > Settings > Privacy and security > Clear browsing data > Advanced > select Download history and select the desired time range, then click Clear data in the pop-up
Make sure to check out the Quick Switcher tool here!
Check out more Shift v8 resources here.