If you're a Mac user and experiencing any of the following, this article is for you:
- Multiple emails or apps are showing blank or partially blank screens
- Shift is fully blank
- Shift is not launching or continuously becomes unresponsive
- Shift is continuously crashing
Note: if Shift is not launching, it may be due to your antivirus software blocking 3rd-party applications. Try temporarily uninstalling your antivirus program, then re-launch Shift. More on this, here.
First and foremost, please check what version your Mac is using. You must be using 2.13 Version 10.11: "El Capitan" or higher. If you're using 2.12 Version 10.10: "Yosemite" or earlier, Shift will not work. You must update your Mac to a later version to continue using Shift if you're currently on Yosemite. If you're already running a version higher than Yosemite, continue reading!
If you've already confirmed you're using 2.13 version 10.11 or higher, a manual app data reset is what is usually needed and almost always helps set things right. When you manually delete your Shift data, your added accounts, apps, and Workspaces will remain intact. Your saved password data will also remain intact (as long as you've never turned off the Backup & Sync setting). However, any opened web tabs will clear. A manual app data deletion almost always resolves unresponsiveness, crashing, and fully blank screens. Follow the step-by-step instructions below: 👇
- Ensure Shift is fully closed and not running in your activity monitor (press Cmd Q to fully quit Shift if Shift is not in fullscreen mode)
- Pull up your system-wide search and look for Activity Monitor, then end any Shift processes
- Click on your desktop to move the focus away from any other apps, then choose "Go" from the top menu
- With the Go menu open, hold down the option key to reveal the hidden folder Library, then click on it to open
- Double click on the "Application Support" folder to open
- Find and delete the Shift folder from within Application Support (~/Library/Application Support/Shift)
- Open Shift and log in with your Primary Shift Account
Find solutions to other common questions here.