Issue Summary 📄
A connection error message pops up in your Shift window stating that Shift Cannot Communicate with Shift Server:
These connection issues can arise for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Recent changes to your network in an email added to Shift
- A proxy server connected through your internet
- A firewall or antivirus software
- An internal server error
This message is displayed automatically when your Shift desktop app detects there is a connection issue with Shift's servers. This means that if you make any changes while this message appears or shortly after you've dismissed it, such as add or remove any apps or emails, add new passwords or update existing ones, attempt to change your Primary Shift Account to a different email, among others, these changes may not be saved. Seeing this message intermittently is ok! However, if this message constantly appears, it is recommended to try and address it, as it may cause login issues for your emails and apps, issues accessing your password vault, and other account sync issues.
On some occasions, you may also get this error message when trying to log into Shift:
This issue is primarily caused by a firewall or other mechanism blocking Shift. You'll often need to whitelist Shift in this case (see below).
- Hard refresh Shift by pressing Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + R on your keyboard
- Try changing your theme temporarily. Right-click on the "+" in the bottom left corner and select the opposite theme. Wait a moment, and then change it back and see if the banner disappears
- Ensure that Shift is marked as safe in any antivirus software
- Whitelist Shift on any firewall you might have enabled
- Port 443 will need to be open for HTTPS
If the error message has not cleared please try giving your app data a reset. You'll need to log into your emails, apps, and extensions again, but this usually helps resolve a wide range of issues, including connectivity issues. Here's how to reset your app data:
- Click Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Reset Application Data
- Click on "Reset App Data" button on the far right and click Proceed
- Shift will shutdown and then restart immediately on its own
- Click Log into an existing account and login with your Primary Shift Account
Read about the latest fixes and features in our Release Notes section here.
Read more about Known Issues in Shift here.
Get in touch with our support team here.