There are three common reasons why you may encounter an error when trying to change your Primary Shift Account:
- There is already another Shift account associated with the email, or
- You recently changed email providers (e.g. switched from GSuite to Office 365)
- There is a sync issue that has caused the change to fail
Below are some tips for what to do in each case!
1. The selected mailbox is already a Primary for another account
If you try to set your Primary Shift Account as an existing account, you will encounter an error message "The selected mailbox is already a primary for another account. This error message means that the email account you are trying to switch to is an existing Primary Shift Account in Shift (i.e. this account is used to sign in to another Shift workstation).
If you were ever logged out of Shift and accidentally logged in with a different email, a new Shift account will get created, with that email as the Primary Shift Account.
If you find yourself in this scenario, get in touch with the Shift support team by clicking on "Submit Ticket" in the upper-right corner of this page, and we can help you delete this extra Shift account. In your ticket please indicate the email you'd like us to delete the account for.
2. You recently changed email providers (e.g. GSuite > Office 365)
If you have recently changed email providers while maintaining access to the same email account, this will likely create a sync issue with your account and will prevent you from changing your Primary Shift Account to a different email.
If this is the case for you, please get in touch with our support team by clicking on "Submit Ticket" in the upper right corner of this page. Our team will need to first help change your primary Shift account over to a separate email, and then back to your original Primary Shift Account. Doing this will update the mail type data associated with your account.
3. Sync issues
If you encounter a failure message when you try to change your Primary Shift Account, it may be due to a sync issue occurring in the background. Here's how to check and what you can do if the failure continues:
- Check to ensure you're not running Shift on another device. If you use multiple devices, fully close down Shift on every device except for one while you make the change
- Fully close and reload Shift after the failure occurs and try again
- Check for any yellow notification banners in Shift that may indicate there is a sync issue
- Try setting your primary to a different email, if possible
More information about sync issues here.
Recent email domain change? We can help with that! Read how here.
Get in touch with our support team here.