Destroying your Vault will delete all password data. The destruction of your Vault is a permanent action that cannot be reversed. You'll likely need to destroy your password vault in the following cases:
- You've lost your Vault Password or believe it may have been accessed by someone else
- You've signed into your Shift account on a new computer and need to bring up the enter vault password prompt again
Below are the steps you can use to destroy your Password Vault in Shift and show the Vault Password prompt again 🔑
- Fully close Shift (press Cmd Q on your keyboard)
- Open the Keychain Access app (Cmd 1) and select "Keychain access"
- Scroll to find "Shift Secure Vault" or type "Shift" in the upper-right search bar
- Right-click and select "Delete Shift Secure Vault" and follow the prompt
Launch the Shift desktop application
You should be immediately prompted to enter your Vault Password or destroy your vault. Select "Destroy Vault" and follow the prompt
After your vault is destroyed, you can start fresh and build a new vault, or enter in an existing Vault Password from your other computer.
You can also destroy your Vault by logging into your Primary Shift Account on another computer and following the destroy vault process from the in-app prompts.
Find out how to import your passwords from your browser into Shift here.
Learn about the importance of saving your Emergency Kit here.