Facebook Messenger is a messaging app offered by Facebook that allows users to reach out to people through text, audio, and video chat - all for free!
On Facebook Messenger, you can:
- Seamlessly start a chat with other Facebook users.
- Express yourself through a GIF, sticker, or emoji.
- Send photos or videos with funky filters or doodles.
- Start a call or video chat (pro tip: turn it into a group call and throw on a filter to surprise your friends).
This feature is available to all Shift Advanced users.
How does Messenger work in Shift?
Shift offers the same amazing features and functionality of Facebook Messenger you would find using your browser.
Try Messenger in your browser here. You will find the same functionality in Shift, but with easier access to all your accounts.
Note: Shift keeps you logged in to your Messenger longer than your browser.
How to add Messenger to Shift?
- Open Shift and click on the plus sign in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click on 'Add Application'.
- Tap on the search bar to type 'Messenger'.
- Select 'Messenger', add your preferred account name and preferred account color.
- Click on 'Save' and find 'Messenger' added to the Shift sidebar.
If you have a Facebook account, use the same login credentials to log in to Messenger. For those, who do not have a Facebook account and still want to log in to Messenger, they can use their mobile phone number.
If you use multiple Messenger accounts or want to create an additional one, Shift gives you the power to access all of your accounts at the same time. Just follow the same steps in this video to log into your additional accounts by adding more Messenger accounts to your Shift sidebar.
What features are available in Facebook Messenger?
- Easily recognize your friends by editing nicknames.
- Change the color of your messages to add a personalized effect.
- Love using an emoji? Why not make it a shortcut!
- Want to make a group chat? Add multiple users to one chat.
How do I manage my notifications for Messenger?
1. Click on 'Settings' (the wrench in the bottom left-hand corner of Shift)
2. Navigate to 'Apps'
3. Click on 'Installed apps' and find 'Messenger' in this list
Your app notification settings can also be adjusted by performing a right-click on the Messenger icon in your sidebar and changing your settings in the dropdown menu. Shift honors the notification settings as set in the application.
To manage your notifications for Messenger:
- Open 'Messenger' in Shift.
- Click on the Settings wheel at the top-left side of the Messenger.
- Click on 'Settings'.
- Select the checkbox next to 'Sounds' if you wish to hear a notification sound for every message you receive in Messenger.
- Select the checkbox next to 'Notifications' if you wish to receive desktop notifications for Messenger on your computer.
Note: Desktop Notifications are not supported in Windows 7.
To manage notification sounds on Messenger you can simply mute all notifications by clicking on the bell in the bottom left-hand corner of Shift and muting all application notifications or mute notifications in the Messenger app itself (as shown in the GIF below).