Are you a Slack user and want to be able to use the app in Shift? Here is a summary of how to add Slack to your setup and manage it in Shift!
Like all apps added to your setup, when you use Slack in Shift, it is the web version. Note that the web version of Slack is different than the desktop or mobile version. If you're part of multiple Slack workspaces, the best way to access them is to add multiple instances of Slack, one for each workspace.
Want to access your Slack app in another Workspace?
With all apps in Shift, you can create a shortcut to access them in any Workspace you choose. Check out this great resource on how to accomplish that here: All About App Shortcuts.
How to add Slack to Shift
Slack in Shift works just like Slack in a browser. Shift uses the browser/web version of Slack and offers the same functionality. Here's how to add Slack to Shift:
- Click on the "+" in the lower-left corner and select "Add Application"
- Tap on the search bar to type "Slack"
- Click on 'Save' and find 'Slack' added to the Shift sidebar.
Add multiple Slack apps for each Slack Workspace you're part of, as shown below!
Follow these steps to add your Team Domain to the Slack app in Shift:
- Check your Team Domain from your work. The domain should be "xxxx.slack.com"
- Open the Slack app in Shift
- Add the work domain under the "Team Domain" option. Please note that the domain already contains ".slack.com" in Shift, so only put the Workspace's name. You may receive an error message saying "invalid team domain" if you put ".slack.com" twice
- Click Save
- In Slack, click on your domain in the upper left corner and select "Preferences"
- Set your preferences for your Notifications, Theme, and more
If you're part of a Slack Enterprise Grid plan, your notification preferences will apply to all Workspaces within the plan (i.e. you cannot set separate notificaiton preferences for Workspaces part of the same Enterprise plan).
Currently, when trying to open the mini-window function in a Slack huddle, you're presented with a new blank tab. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You can keep up with updates to this issue here.
Want to have a quick demo video of using Slack in Shift? Check out this video.
Read more guides for Shift here.