We know that your productivity soars when you stay logged in longer. After all, that is why we created Shift.
If you find yourself repeatedly getting logged out of your accounts in Shift - be it apps, extensions, or email - there may be a few reasons why.
Shift honors the security preferences of each of our apps, extensions, and email partners. Each third-party service has its own security measures set in place to keep your data safe meaning that you may be logged out of certain apps more frequently than others.
👀 Signs that security is why you keep getting logged out
- Only one or a small handful of your accounts get logged out consistently.
- You use accounts that require a high level of security (ie. Finance apps, HR apps, etc.)
📝Steps to fix security settings
- Check your in-app settings. You may be able to configure the login frequency of the app itself.
- Check your app's support center for articles on login frequency.
2. Chromium needs permission (most common)
After you install Shift, sometimes Chromium (the open-source project that powers Shift) brings up a dialog asking for permission to store your data.
This permission is required as Shift is based on Chromium. If the permission is not granted, it will continue to log you out upon every startup.
👀 Signs that Chromium permissions are why you keep getting logged out
- Shift is logging out all of your accounts every time.
📝Steps to fix the Chromium permissions in Shift
1. Manually delete app data:
On Windows, delete the following folder:
or in some cases it can also be found in this folder C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Shift
On Mac, you will need to delete the following folder (you will need to hold down the 'Option' button and choose the 'Go' menu item in Finder):
Once, you have done this, re-launch Shift and log in with your Primary Shift email account.
2. Restart Shift and sign-in, and give this dialogue permission.