Shift has three separate channels: Alpha, Beta, and Stable. By default, everyone starts with the stable channel, as that's our live product model. This channel is intended for users who want a pristine experience in Shift. If you are looking for a clean and bug-free experience, Stable is the correct channel for you to be in.
If you're keen to get access to cutting-edge features, updates, and bug fixes you can subscribe to our Alpha Channel. The Alpha Channel contains our smallest percentage of power-users who want access to features and fixes before anyone else. Find out how to subscribe below.
What is the Alpha Channel?
The Alpha channel contains the smallest number of users who choose to interact with our newest features, extensions, and apps in Shift before we release them to Beta, and then the Stable channel. The Alpha channel is where features and bug fixes are first released. Launching to the Alpha channel initially allows us to catch bugs before releasing them to further channels that contain more users.
How to Subscribe to the Alpha Channel
1. Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Support and Updates > Click Beta on the right-hand side and accept any notices
2. A prompt will show with a new version of Shift asking you to update, accept this
3. You will now notice there is now an option to select "Alpha" as a channel. Select that and follow the same steps as above
4. Allow Shift to reload and you will be on the Alpha channel interacting with new features and updates!
If you prefer not to move onto Alpha please be assured that the fix or feature will be released on our Beta and Stable channel in the coming weeks.
How to Switch Back to the Stable Channel
If you decide you're done with Alpha or Beta testing, switching back to Stable is a matter of three steps.
- Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Support and Updates > Click Stable on the right-hand side and accept any changes
- Download a fresh copy of Shift from https://tryshift.com/
- Launch Shift and log in with your Primary Shift Account
Congratulations! 🤩 You're now back on the Stable channel.
Check out more articles on using Shift here.
Get in touch with our support team here.