Shift has three separate channels: Alpha, Beta, and Stable. By default, everyone starts with the stable channel, as that's our live product model. This channel is intended for users who want a pristine experience in Shift. If you are looking for a clean and bug-free experience, Stable is the correct channel for you to be in.
If you're keen to test out new features, updates, and fixes, you'd probably like either our Alpha or Beta channels. Keep reading for more details on what these channels offer, and how to switch over.
The Alpha channel contains the smallest number of users who choose to interact with our newest features, extensions, and apps in Shift before we release them to Beta, and then the Stable channel. The Alpha channel is where features and bug fixes are first released. Launching to the Alpha channel initially allows us to catch bugs before releasing them to further channels that contain more users.
To switch to the alpha channel follow these steps:
1. Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Support and Updates > Click Beta on the right-hand side and accept any notices
2. A prompt will show with a new version of Shift asking you to update, accept this
3. You will now notice there is now an option to select "Alpha" as a channel. Select that and follow the same steps as above
4. Allow Shift to reload and you will be on the Alpha channel interacting with new features and updates!
If you prefer not to move onto Alpha please be assured that the fix or feature will be released on our Beta and Stable channel in the coming weeks.
Our Beta channel is a small community of our users aimed at identifying bugs and stopping them in their tracks before they reach the stable channel. We send new releases to our Beta channel after they've had some time in Alpha, but before we're comfortable sharing it will all of our users on Stable. Our Beta channel is responsible for letting us know about bugs as soon as they arise, so we can fix them before they go out to the rest of our users.
To switch to Beta, follow the same steps as above:
- Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Support and Updates > Click Beta on the right-hand side and accept any notices
- A prompt will show with a new version of Shift asking you to update, accept this
- Reload Shift and you'll be on the Beta version!
- Share any bugs, issues, or oddities you run into by submitting feedback here
Switching Back to Stable
If you decide you're done with Alpha or Beta testing, switching back to Stable is a matter of three steps.
- Go to Options (lower left) > Settings > General > Support and Updates > Click Stable on the right-hand side and accept any changes
- Download a fresh copy of Shift from https://tryshift.com/
- Launch Shift and log in with your Primary Shift Account
Congratulations! 🤩 You're now back on the Stable channel.
Check out more articles on using Shift here.
Get in touch with our support team here.